Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Amazon Prime

So, I have to be quite honest with you. I was so excited about this course that as soon as I received all my books, I started reading them. I first started with the short history book and then I finished Abina and the Important Men. But, I had an issue. My issue was that I wanted to learn more about the people who lived in modern Africa, living by their old ways as they have been passed down from generation to generation. I also had another issue. I had nothing to watch on Netflix or Amazon Prime because I had binge watched everything. The first, main issue gave me an idea and with good faith in Amazon, I looked up documentaries about Africa (Netflix only had documentaries about the animals of Africa).

I would like to share with you some things I learned about a particular tribe in Africa from the series, "Tribe":
1) This particular tribe resides within the north of Kenya. specifically the Uganda-Kenya border.
2) The semi-nomadic tribe is known as the Pokot.
3) The family is ran by a patriarchy and polygamy is allowed.
4) Wives are to move away from their families and the husbands must give the wives' families dowries, usually in the form of cattle.
5) They drink milk mixed with cows blood to cure children of some diseases and illnesses.
6) When young men turn 15 years old, they go through the 'rite of passage' of circumcision. They cannot scream or cry because they will bring shame to themselves and their families. They will never become warriors. Young men going through the rite of passage has other young men who have already been circumcised to be with him before, during, and after the process.
7) Instead of tattoos, the men and women get cuts on their bodies to tell of their own stories

**If you have Amazon Prime, go to Amazon Prime Video, and search Tribes. The cover photo is of a woman dressed with beautiful African beads.

Enjoy!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B01J8X2TKS/ref=atv_hm_hom_2_c_obwan_2_23?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3194252682&pf_rd_r=HQEP4XM4HFV1EKGZFPZV&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_t=12401

No comments:

Post a Comment